Upma Recipe is one of the most common Indian breakfast recipe. It is a simple and a delectable traditional South Indian breakfast. I like about dishes from South is, it is easy to trace that dish from its name for example “Upma“. The primary word is “Uppu” which means salt and “Maa”, “Mavvu”, “Mavvi” all these words are used for refined flour and whole wheat flour.
Salted flour means “Upma”. Some places in Tamil Nadu it is still called as “Uppumavu”. In all the terms whether it is “Upma”, “Uppitu”, “Uppeet”, “Uppumavu”, “Upp” which means “Salt” which is very important in it. So that people get to know that it looks like “Rava” but it is Salty.
Let’s head to the recipe……
Ingredients For Sauteing Rava
- 1 cup Bombay Rava/Sooji (160 grams)
- 2 tbsp ghee
Ingredients For Upma Recipe
- 3 tbsp refined oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tsp ginger (grated/finely chopped)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp gota urad/whole polished urad
- 8 nos cashew nuts
- 1 medium fresh green chilli (chopped)
- 10 – 12 curry leaves
- 31/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 wedge of lime
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves with it’s tender stems (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp ghee
Instructions – Upma Recipe
- In a Kadhai or Pan heat ghee, add rava and saute for 3-4 minutes on low heat, stir continuously while stirring so that every grain should coat with ghee evenly.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside for further use.
- For Upma Recipe- heat oil in a pan or same kadhai, splutter mustard seeds followed by chana dal, gota urad and cashew nuts. Saute until they turn light brown.
- Now, add ginger and cook for a minute until ginger releases its raw smell.
- Now add onion, green chilli, curry leaves and saute until onion turn translucent.
- Add in water, salt, sugar and allow it to boil.
- When it starts boiling allow it to boil for 2 minutes, this will infuse the flavours in water.
- At this stage add in prepared rava. Stir continuously while cooking to avoid any lumps.
- When almost all the water is absorbs reduce the heat (make sure it must have porridgey consistency).
- Cover with the lid for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle lime juice, coriander leaves and ghee. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Don’t be in hurry while roasting the rava, and saute on low heat for at least 3 to 4 minutes continuously stirring.
- You can add other vegetables according to your choice, but the authentic and basic way is only with ginger and onion.
- Rava/Semolina(sooji) is high in calorific (calories) value high in “Energy” and it also has 13%-13.5% of “Protein” content.
- Leave a comment and share your views about this Upma Recipe.