Hii! My Foodies, today we will discuss Momos Recipe. Now a days, Momos are very famous as India’s street food, momos originated in Nepal and this recipe mainly belongs to Nepali Cuisine. I travelled a lot in Ladakh and realised that at least in Ladakh no one makes momos using only refined flour! that I think, is a very urban thing. Over there the momos are made with a combination of wheat flour and refined flour. So, we will use the mixture of wheat flour and refined flour.
It’s totally optional, you can use only refined flour to give a better texture. Mixing wheat flour and refined flour makes the momos little bit healthy. Veg Momos Recipe mainly consists of Momos sheets and vegetable mixture.
Let’s dig into the delicious recipe –
Veg Momos Recipe
Ingredients Momos Recipe – Momos Dough
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (optional)
- 1cup refined flour (use 1½ cups if you are not using whole wheat flour)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Water as required
- 1 tbsp oil for greasing
Ingredients Momos Filling
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 cup cabbage (shredded)
- ½ tsp black pepper (crushed)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 Small finely chopped onion (optional)
Ingredients For Momos Chutney
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 inch grated ginger
- 5 dried kashmiri red chillies
- Salt to taste
Instructions Momos Recipe
- First we knead the dough, because it will need time to rest.
- Add refined flour, wheat flour, salt, vinegar and sugar in a large kneading plate/tray.
- Mix all the ingredients properly, add water as required and knead for 5 minutes or until it turns soft and smooth. Grease with oil and cover with moist cloth. Keep it aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, add 3 tbsp oil and ginger, green chillies,onion and garlic and saute it well.
- Now, add, cabbage, grated carrot and stir on high heat.
- Add salt to taste, crushed black pepper and mix it. Stuffing mixture is ready. Keep it aside to cool down on room temperature.
- Now, take the dough and pinch a small ball size momos dough and flatten.
- Dust with some dry refined flour, start to roll the dough using rolling pin. Roll to almost 4 to 5 inches diameter circle.
- Now, Place a heaped tablespoon of filling and start pleating the edges slowly and gather everything.
- Seal the momos forming a bundle.
- Heat a steamer and place all the momos without touching each other.
- Steam momos for 12 to 15 minutes or until shiny sheen appear over it.
- Serve them hot with momos chutney or your favourite sauce.
Instructions For Momos Chutney Recipe
- Slightly make a cut on tomatoes and boil with dried kashmiri red chillies.
- Peel the tomatoes.
- In a blender, add tomatoes, kashmiri red chillies, grated ginger, garlic and make a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add ginger garlic paste and saute it for 10 seconds.
- Now, add tomato paste, salt, vinegar, soya sauce, water if required and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, let the chutney cool down and serve with momos.
- Don’t use onion in filling if you want to keep the momos for more than 3 hours.
- Grease the steamer before arranging momos into it.
- You can add little bit soya sauce into filling.
- Add salt very carefully in filling, as our dough and chutney already contains salt.
- Drop comment if you like the recipe.